Pin It

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mushrooms and Farro? You heard right ....

First let me give props where props are due!  THANK YOU SO MUCH Anne from Webicurean for the recipe for Farrotto (Farro Risotto) with Mushroom Medley.  Well not just for the recipe but for answering my questions too. :0)

So it starts like this.  I was scrolling through Pinterest and came across a pin for this and thought "OK there's a recipe I could try."  See I used to watch Food Network RELIGIOUSLY!  And I would see Giada De Laurentiis cook with farro so many times but could NEVER find it at my local market.  So I TOTALLY gave up any thought of being able to not only TRY this wonderful grain, er uh well the definition is still not clear, but to be able to cook with it.  Then while at this neighborhood market, the light shown down, and there it was.  OK it wasn't as dramatic as all that but I was at a neighborhood market and while strolling down the international aisle there it was.  Italian Peralized Farro!  YAY!!!!  Now what do I make with it.  So for the last couple weeks this has sat in my pantry while I tried to figure out what to make with it.  Then when all hope was lost, while scrolling through Pinterest I spied this recipe.  It seemed the perfect side to go with the pork end chops and roasted carrots I was making.  BUT, you KNEW that was coming right?  While reviewing the recipe, I of course had to make some tweaks, and noticed that it called for white wine.  My small problem?  I don't drink so I don't have nor know how to pick out wine.  *sighs*  Maybe I will just have to go back to the drawing board.  Nope!  I WANT to make this!  I have all the ingredients, even with my tweaks, darn it!  So I messaged Anne, can I replace the wine with stock I ask.  Yes was the answer.  Woo Hoo!  So here is what mine looked like!

I KNOW!  Looks darn good right?!  I didn't deviate much from the original recipe.  But I did make some changes.
Ingredients
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon EVOO
1/2 Small Onion, minced
1 Teaspoon of TS Garlic Garlic
6 oz Crimini mushrooms, sliced (These are also called Baby Bellas)
4 oz Button mushtooms, sliced
6 oz Shiitake , sliced 
Sprinkle of salt, this draws out the wonderful juices of the mushrooms and onions.
1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1 Teaspoon Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon EVOO
1 Cup Farro,soaked overnight*
2 Cups Each Chicken and Vegetable stock, heated
½ Cup Grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
In a large skillet, melt the butter and EVOO. 
Add the shallots, sprinkle with TS Garlic Garlic and saute until soft. 
Stir in the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and cook until tender. 
Add in thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, heat the EVOO in a medium saucepan, and stir in the farro, tossing until well coated and slightly toasted. It will release a nutty sent when it's toasted.
Add the 1/2 cup of stock, and simmer, stirring, until absorbed. 
Add the stock about ½ cup at a time, stirring after each addition and simmering until the liquid is absorbed.
When there’s only about 1 cup of the stock remaining, stir in the mushroom mixture, add another ½ cup of the stock, stir, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until done. 
Add the remaining stock if necessary. 
Stir in the Parmesan cheese, and serve.

*Note: If using pearled or pre-cooked farro, soaking overnight can be skipped. 

If you find or order this grain this is definitely one to try.  I have twin sisters, one would NEVER try this dish.  She doesn't like mushrooms!  WHAT!  Who doesn't like mushrooms?  *sighs* One of the questions for the universe. LOL  And another said the house smelled really good!  Of course the smell was really good but the taste was DELICIOUS!  Hubby had 2 helpings and asked if he could have the left overs for Saturday's work lunch.  Love when compliments are in abundance!  Try Anne's recipe or mine, or better yet make it your own!  You are only limited by your imagination!  Use a different combination of mushrooms, use fresh herbs instead of dried, but no matter what you change or which recipe you use remember the best ingredient to any recipe is you .... Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment