Pin It

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Banana Bread .... And breakfast for the Sunday

It's funny how much hubby and my Dad have in common.  There other day my Dad requested banana bread no nuts, he is so not a nut lover.  Now hubby LOVES my banana bread with nuts, pecans to be precise.  So bought some bananas, then some extra at hubby's pout for bread as well.  Since I was making it and all.  Then set them out and let them get "old" because that is when they make the yummiest bread.  As I made the bread I thought what are we going to have for breakfast tomorrow.  Oh yeah, not just banana bread but french toast orange banana bread.  Yes you read that right ... though I can't provide you with a picture right now I just know that it will be awesome!!!!!

Banana bread is just one of those things that I love to make.  Hubby puts butter on his slice, I like mine plain.  Of course I try to change it up a little and see what works best.  Here is the banana bread that stayed home.  Hubby's with pecans and then tomorrow's french toast banana bread.  For Dad's, you can just imagine it without nuts. LOL

This bread is so moist it doesn't need the butter, but hubby won't part with it.  I think it's a comfort thing.  I've had this recipe so long and have changed it so many ways I don't even remember where I got it from originally.  
Banana Bread
Ingredients
3 - 4 Medium Bananas, a little over ripe makes the tastiest bread.
1/3 Cup Unsalted butter, melted
1/2 Cup Brown sugar, dark of course
1/2 Cup Granulated sugar, if you don't want to use brown sugar you can use 1 cup of white.
1 Large egg, beaten
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Pinch or 1/8 of a Teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Nuts, chopped (Optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.  Grease loaf pan, can use spray.
Mash bananas.
Add butter and sugar, mix well.
Add dry ingredients, mix until just combined.
Stir in nuts.
Pour in loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

Pretty easy and I didn't even use my Kitchen Aid for this one.  What I call the regular one, the one with pecans as it is the standard, was made using pecans and followed the recipe exactly as listed. If you've read any of my other posts you know I just can't leave it at that.  :0)  So for our french toast bread I used 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and a 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.  I also added in a 1/2 teaspoon of orange peel since I will be adding orange extract to the egg mixture for the french toast tomorrow.  I also did 1/4 cup each of sunflower seeds and pecan pieces.  Gotta make sure hubby has his pecans.  Oh and I also added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.  Yum cinnamon!  

The bread is always good by itself but I SO can't wait to try it tomorrow with the added orange flavor.  Oh and I will be baking it so I won't have to use butter or oil to make it.  Now to have ham or sausage?  LOL!!!  Please try this recipe.  If you have kids, get them into the kitchen with you.  If you don't have kids you can get your best friend, sister, nephew or nieces, hubby just get someone to come and make some memories with you.  This is definitely an easy one to share and for remembering the fun as time goes on.  Change the recipe to include your favorite nut(s), try it using whole wheat flour, but remember no matter what you change or how you change it the best ingredient to any recipe is you .... Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment