Pin It

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finding inspiration in wonderful places!

I got an invitation to try something and since there is a way around the major obstacle I had, I'm going to give it a try.  Rosemarie, a wonderful friend of mine, suggested I come to a meeting with her for Tastefully Simple.  I had been to an online meeting, and won a gift I might add, to become a consultant but still couldn't commit.  I am SO glad that I went, so I am going to try something new.  There's nothing wrong with it and I'm pretty sure I can be successful at it.  I KNOW I can be successful at trying new things with their products.  And would it shock you to know that I already have some ideas? LOL

Now I was out most of the evening yesterday and came home to a share post on Facebook from a friend showing a recipe that I know I definitely wanted to try.  Since I just received my prize the other day in the mail, what better way to combined things?  So the recipe was for Honey Garlic Pork Chops by Blog Chef and thought YES!  Then I went searching for a side.  I just bought some sweet potatoes and what better side to go with pork chops???  I found what I was looking for on Lady O's blog.  Baked sweet potato pancakes.  Can't forget the veggie so made hubby's favorite!  I wish I had known before I married him that he preferred peas to corn, *sighs*.  LOL

The result was a delicious lunch!  I of course had to make it my own, and there was nothing wrong with that!

For the Pork Chops:
Ingredients:
1/4 Cup Chili Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar, sweet and smoky flavor
1 Tablesppon + 1 Teaspoon Honey
1/8 cup Light Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Granulated Garlic
I used 2 Pork Chops BUT now have left over sauce.

Combined chili sauce, ketchup, dark brown sugar, honey, and granulated garlic.

Preheat the oven to 350.  In a shallow pan season pork chops.  I used a couple shakes of Tastefully Simple's Bacon Bacon, pepper, and basted the pork chop with sauce.  
*Hint: Spoon the sauce on and brush it over the chop.  If you contaminate the sauce by putting the basting brush in the bowl after basting the raw meat cook it for a few minutes and then it can be served or can be stored for later use.
Cook meat at 350 for 15, turn over, and baste with more sauce.  Cook another 15 - 20 minutes.  Make sure temperature is 145 and chops are done.  

I like to throw them under the broiler for a few to get a little bit of a crust from the sauce.

For the Sweet Potato Pancakes:
Ingredients:
1 Large Sweet Potato peeled, and shredded
1/2 Medium Onion, shredded
2 Large Eggs, beaten
3 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon All Spice
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly grease cookie sheets.  I used spray.
Mix ingredients in bowl.  
Drop by 1/4 cup on cookie sheet. 
Cook 15 - 20 minutes, flip and cook an addition 10 - 15.  Keep in mind that there is natural sugar in these potatoes so they can burn if cooked too long, but will definitely get a nice crisp on them.  And I'm glad I added the rosemary.  It added a nice earthy taste to the pancake.

Then tying it all together peas sprinkled with 2 teaspoons of the Tastefully Simple Bacon Bacon seasoning.  I love using a seasoning on my veggies as I don't have to worry about salt, as it's already contained in the seasoning.  No extra fat from butter as you've flavored your veggies, so don't be shy to try seasoning them.  All of these were REALLY good.  Hubby didn't even wait to put the pancake on his plate.  You can serve them with toppings if you like, most use sour cream or applesauce, but we liked them just fine by themselves.  And don't be afraid to season them any way you want.  Follow Lady O's using garlic, salt, and pepper.  Try using cinnamon and nutmeg.  Try using other savory herbs, but whatever you try, however you change it remember that the best ingredient to any recipe is you .... Enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment