Pin It

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Breakfast to Dessert ... It was a Yum day!!!

Hey there everyone!!!  It has been a full day.  Full of food, good times spent with hubby, and laundry.  OK so it was only 3 loads but wash, dry, fold or hang up, and put away.  That's enough for me.  Of course it all started with breakfast and I have to say that I truly think hubby loves me for my imagination.  Neither of us had any ideas for breakfast.  I remembered picking up a can, yes I said can LOL, of Roast Beef Hash.  I had not seen that in FOREVER and hubby wanted to try after asking, "Does it tastes different than corned beef hash?"  Sheesh!  So I did not want the normal, fried up hash with eggs over easy.  So how to make it with a twist?  Easy peasy! 


This is where your imagination comes in handy, add whatever you want.  I know simple to say.  I sauteed up 1/2 of an onion chopped, 1/2 cup chopped red and green peppers, then added 1 cup of black beans, drained and rinsed.  Mixed it with a can of Roast Beef Hash then pressed it into a pie pan.  Baked in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Lowered oven to 400.  Cracked 4 eggs, topped it with a 1/2 cup Mexican cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of dried cilantro and parsley and popped back in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes until eggs are set and cheese is melted.  It was definitely a twist on just a can of roast beef hash and hubby appreciated the extra time it took to make.  I loved all the flavors as they mixed well together.  

Then there was dinner.  I already knew what I wanted to have as we hadn't had it in a while.  I usually make Chicken Stir Fry but I had some beef in the fridge and wanted to use it before it became freezer burned.  Then it's just yuck!  So took it out to thaw.  In between laundry, then I had the brilliant idea to head out to the dollar store.  Only to come back have to make dinner.  That's okay because hubby did most of it.  I cut the stuff up and added it to the pan while he stirred.  And while he was doing that, I was able to make dessert.  Oh yes, I made dessert.


This was pretty simple, throw whatever you want in a pan and cook it.  I know it sounds really simple but that's the great thing about a stir fry, you can add whatever you want.  I happened to have some frozen stir fry veggies but when I say I like a lot of veggies I mean it.  Then I add some extra cauliflower and broccoli.  I had some cans of bean sprouts, baby corn (hubby's favorite), and water chestnuts (I love the crunch). Threw in some extra shredded carrots.  Seasoned the meat with some granulated garlic, pepper, salt, and Chinese Five Spice.  Sauteed an onion in peanut oil.  Tossed in 2 teaspoons minced garlic.  Seared the meat.  Tossed in veggies.  Cooked up some pasta, I used buccatini.  Made a sauce of 2 cups low sodium beef stock and 3 tablespoons cornstarch and cold water.  Poured it in the pan, covered and cooked for about 10 minutes and serve.  Pretty easy and VERY tasty because it's everything you like.  I LOVE when my veggie ratio is higher than my meat ratio.  So while hubby cooks it all up, after I've chopped it all up, I make dessert. 
Dessert was pretty simple as well and VERY tasty.  I found the recipe on The Cutes and Scoots Show!  I adapted the Grandma's Famous Pistachio Pudding Cake recipe.  Since my pudding was not sugar free I adjusted the sugar, changed the Crisco to softened, unsalted butter, I guess maybe it would be easier to just put the recipe here. LOL


Ingredients
3/4 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
1 Cups Sugar
1 Box (4 Serving) Pistachio Pudding Mix
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
1 1/4 Cups Cold Water
2 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
3 Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Lemon Peel
1/3 Cup Chopped Pistachios  Of course these are absolutely optional, we just love nuts!

Directions
Cream butter, sugar, eggs, lemon peel, and extract until light and fluffy.
Add water, pudding mix, flour, baking powder, and nuts.
Beat at low speed until blended.
Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
Grease bundt pan, I gave it a quick spray.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.


Add a dollop of whipped cream and it was well worth the effort.  It was moist and so flavorful, with a little crunch.  

No food coloring added here.  The cake was just the perfect ending to the day.  Now to figure a way to keep hubby's fingers out of it.  Next I have to make banana bread for my Dad.  It has been requested.  There are definite pluses to a large family, you never have a dull moment and always get tons of requests.  Hubby's favorite is my banana bread as well but Dad's is without nuts while hubby's is with.

Please try some of these recipes.  They are definitely worth the effort but most are very easy, not very time consuming, and SO delicious!  But whatever recipe you try, and no matter how you change it, remember the best ingredient to any recipe is you .... Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment