Pin It

Friday, June 29, 2012

For the love of hubby!


Ever since I can remember I have made this pie that the family loved.  It was REALLY simple and took no time at all to actually make.  I like those kinds of pies, ESPECIALLY around the holidays.  See I am the baker of the family.  I have twin sisters that do a little but I'm who they come to with questions.  So ever since I can remember, it's been my responsibility to do the baking for the holidays.  Any pie that I can make that doesn't take that much time is wonderful for me.  Leaves me time for more complicated or labor intensive baking.  So this pie I call "the creamsicle".  Tastes JUST like you're biting into a creamsicle, without the ice cream headache. *chuckles*  When I met my hubby and he started coming to holiday dinners it was always his request.  Sometimes I even get a request out of the blue.  It so simple to make, I can't seem to say no. 


Since the family has decided that birthday cakes are going to be made this year, hubby decided that his request would be for a creamsicle cake.  Really honey?  Now I have to figure out how to do this?  So I searched for recipes.  We found one that we thought would work WONDERFULLY with a few tweaks.  Hubby's suggested tweak, Duncan Hines frosting creations.  Flavor:  Orange Cream.  So we experimented.  Used the recipe we found ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEM3PykxXtY&noredirect=1 ), no tweaks and the store bought frosting.  


I don't know about you guys, but when I bite into a creamsicle I get orange and the prize in the center of vanilla ice cream.  Well in this case cream filling.  The frosting was more cream, I think, than orange and the cake wasn't orange enough.  Oh but the cake filling was "spot on"!  So how do you tweak it now.  In this crazy mind I have I was able to take recipes and do it up right.  This was the result:




Looks yum right?!  It was JUST like biting into a creamsicle without the brain freeze.   


Orange flavored whipped cream frosting
2 1/4 Cups Heavy Cream
1/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 Teaspoons Orange Extract
1 Tablespoon Orange Peel/Zest


Whip heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff.  If necessary you can add additional powdered sugar until the cream reaches the texture you like.  
Once "frosting" is the texture you want, add the extract and zest/peel.  I do half of each and taste.  Remember you want a real orange taste not something fake tasting.  Refrigerate until ready to use.


Cream filling for Creamsicle cake
4 oz of room temperature cream cheese
1 1/4 Cup of heavy cream
1 box (4 serving) Instant Cheesecake pudding


Whip ingredients together.  If texture of the filling is not smooth, additional cream can be added.


Orange Cake
1 box of Yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines sells an Orange Supreme, if you can find it that would be recommended)
3oz box o Orange Jello
1/3 Cup Canola oil
3 Large eggs, room temperature
1 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
2 teaspoons Orange extract
1/4 teaspoon Orange unsweetened Kool-Aid (Note:  Be VERY careful to measure this not over the bowl and do not add extra Kool-Aid as it affect how the cake rises.)
1 Tablespoon of Orange zest/peel (I use a mix of the dried, which I crush in my hand to reactivate the oils in the peel, and fresh zest.)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease/spray 2 8 or 9 inch round pans (I used 9 so the cake would fit under the glass dome.) and set aside.
Place cake mix, jello, oil, eggs, orange extract, and orange zest/peel in mixing bowl.  
Add orange juice and Kool Aid and beat on low  until moistened. 
Increase to medium and beat a few minutes longer. The batter will be smooth. 
Pour into pans. 
Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


It definitely is a lot of work but hubby is definitely worth it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment