Pin It

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

One cannot live on sweets alone ....

I was trying to do something different today.  You can ONLY eat sweet potatoes so many ways before getting TOTALLY sick of them.  Baked, broiled, roasted, boiled, fried (which I don't really like to do), caked, see the point.  So while trying to figure out what to have with the pork shoulder ribs I took out for lunch, since we usually eat the heavier meal at lunch, I was thinking about what to do with the sweet potatoes I have.  So why can't you have a sweet potato salad?  Hmmm .... so I present to you: Seared pork shoulder ribs, sweet potato salad, and sliced cucumbers with a squeeze of lime juice.  I am not the healthiest eater around but I try to make it on the healthier side.  I almost always have to have something fresh with the meal.  Fresh tomatoes thrown in somewhere, fresh herbs somewhere, that kind of thing.  
I cannot believe how yummy it all turned out though.  While shopping last weekend I found McCormick's Molasses Bacon seasoning.  I am not the biggest person on "fake" bacon flavoring so I was skeptical but figured I'd try it, after all it was only a buck.  So used it as seasoning along with fresh ground pepper on the ribs and put a little in the water of the sweet potatoes as the boiled.  Unbelievably yummy!  


So here is it all on it's own:
Here is my recipe to create it:
1 lb of medium diced sweet potatoes 
1 tablespoon McCormick's Molasses Bacon seasoning (optional but if you want a little more sweet smoky flavor try adding a tablespoon of dark brown sugar)
2 ribs of celery, diced
2 green onions, whites and greens sliced
1/2 cup toasted almonds
1/3 cup mayo with a table spoon of yogurt
(Note:  I use a combo of mayo and yogurt which you do not have to do but I like the added tang... I usually use greek.  Also, you can add more to your taste.  I like to taste the ingredients of the salad not cover them up.)
Pepper to taste


Boil potatoes and seasoning (optional) until fork tender.  Once boiled drain and cool.
Combined remaining ingredients in bowl and chill for about half and hour.  
Serve!


Wonderful on a hot day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment