Pin It

Friday, June 29, 2012

Not a carb in sight!

It has been SO hot here that cooking anything seems like a real chore.  Gotta feed the working man though. *winks*  So something quick but won't heat up the house.  Hmm ... so lunch today was boiled chicken.  No it's not as simple as all that.  I am not the kind of person to just put chicken in a pot of water and let it go.  Nope my mama taught me better.  Add seasoning or flavoring where you can.  So two frozen chicken breasts went into a combination of 2 cups water and 2 cups vegetable stock.  That wasn't enough.  Usually I throw a couple garlic cloves in with it but I felt like something different today.  I have a seasoning blend that I had not used yet and I so wanted to try.  So into the water went a teaspoon of granulated onion and a tablespoon of McCormick's Grill Mate Lemon Pepper with Herbs season blend.  I find that when I use these I omit the salt.  It's not really needed because salt is in the blend.  And what to make to go with it .... I REALLY don't want anything heavy.  Searching the pantry and NOTHING hits me.  I want something I can use the same seasoning in to bring the flavor through the meal.  Hmm ...... So here is what I came up with!


Beans and Veggies 

Here's what I did:

1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
1 Tablespoon Oil (I like to use peanut or olive oil, here I used peanut)
1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced in 1 inch pieces
8 oz of frozen broccoli
1 1/2 Cup Frozen corn (You can use fresh cut off the cob)
1 small can drained and rinsed of cannellini beans
1 small can drained and rinsed of pink kidney beans (you can use red, or any other type bean.  I think garbanzo might be good here.)
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Pepper with Herbs seasoning (McCormick's Grill Mates is what I used)
A handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 Cup of crumbled, Feta cheese 

(NOTE:  All of these items can be adjust to taste, I didn't want to add a salty taste that parmesan adds so I used the tang of feta.)

Heat/Melt butter in skillet.
Add zucchini and broccoli, sprinkle a little of the seasoning and start to saute.
After a few minutes, add frozen corn (if using fresh you might want to toss it in when starting the other veggies.  It all depends on how done you like your corn.)
Sprinkle a little more seasoning in the pan.  I used about a teaspoon each time.
Add the drained, rinsed beans, add another sprinkle of seasoning, and just heat through.

Once warmed, take off heat and put in serving bowl.  Add tomatoes and cheese, toss and serve.  

It's all pretty simple but I have to love when I can get hubby away from carbs for a meal.  He LOVED it.  Had 2 helpings.  That's when I know it's good.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment