Pin It

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pork with mushroom onion gravy ... a little healthier

So lately I've been thinking I need to start making some of our meals healthier.  Not be a TOTAL health nut but maybe meet somewhere in the happy medium.  Well on somethings anyway.  So as I stood before the freezer deciding what to take out hubby FINALLY speaks up and says he wants pork chops.  Oh Yay!  What kind I ask.  Whatever kind you make is fine. Grrr! LOL  So out come the pork chops to defrost for tomorrow and now I start thinking what can I do.  Oh I have some mushrooms I want to use up. Hmmm... Then I start reading about to make things healthier, what is a healthier substitute, etc.  Now the question is will it taste good?  I really don't want to have to sacrifice taste for healthier and do I have the means to do that?  I sure do and did.  I can't believe the results of what I came up with.  Hubby's comment of course was that was different, it had more vegetables.  I said that's not so bad, he said not at all.  Winning approval I tell you!  So what did I make, you won't believe it unless you see it:


Oh Yeah!  Healthy AND yummy!
Pork chop with a mushroom and onion gravy with pan roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Can't forget the steamed broccoli.  That has been my craving for a while.
Recipe for the Mushroom Onion Gravy
Ingredients
4 Baby Bella Mushrooms, cleaned, and sliced
2 White Button Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/2 Medium Onion, sliced
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
Sprinkle of Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon flour
1 1/2 - 2 Cups Room temperature low sodium beef stock
Heat oil in pan.
Toss in mushrooms and onions, sprinkle with salt and sautee about 8 - 10 minutes.  
Place in small dish and set aside.
In same pan, melt butter.
Once butter is melted, add flour and cook for a few minutes.
Slowly add the stock and stir until gravy thickens.
Add mushrooms and onions back in pot and set aside.

Pan sear pork chops.  I used coconut oil and seasoned them with pepper and some Spice Club Seasoning Grinder for Steak and Chops.  When I do this I avoid adding any additional salt as it already contains salt.  Sear pork chop on both sides.  Now if you pan is not oven safe and has a handle you can wrap it in foil and safely stick it in the oven.  Mine are safe to 350 degrees, which is what I set my oven for.  Pour gravy over chops, pop in oven to finish cooking.15-25 minutes or until thermometer reads 165.

For the roasted sweet potato side, really simple:
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed
2 Large Carrots or 4 Small, peeled and sliced
1/2 Medium Onion
Couple grinds of pepper
1 handful of chopped pecans
Melt butter and oil in frying pan, and med heat.
Add sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions and cook.  
I throw a cover on for a few minutes at the beginning to get them to soften then remove the cover to finish roasting them.
When they are fork tender about 20 minutes, throw in a handful of pecans and serve.

Simple and way healthier and did not lack in taste at all.  Hubby definitely loved the side, kept picking out of the pan.  That's when you know it's good.

Simple, healthier, and tasty.  Can't ask for much more!  Definitely something to remember and do over again.  Add more veggies is definitely in the mix of things for us, gotta shake us out of that hibernation period.  But this is the basics, if you want to fatten it up feel free.  You can substitute oils if you like.  If our daughter were here I couldn't use the coconut oil, as she is allergic to coconut. EEK!  But I'm sure I would figure out a way to keep it healthier.  Having been doing a lot of reading lately I have confidence that I can make some changes that will be both delicious and good for us.  But remember that no matter what you change, or how you change it the best ingredient to any recipe is you .... Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment