Pin It

Friday, March 22, 2013

The Twist On Salmon Patties ... Tuna Cakes

We're close to Easter which means Lent is almost over.  It's hard to not always eat the same things when you feel like your options are limited.  But they are only as limited as your imagination.  My problem is hubby.  LOL  I truly believe that he had a bad experience with fish when he was younger, and now he won't eat fish that isn't breaded and fried.  On top of that he doesn't like any kind of sauce.  Imagine a McDonald's Fish sandwich no tarter sauce.  Who does that?  LOL  The one thing he will eat is my salmon patties, at least I think so.  I made them once for myself while hubby and my nephew ate shrimp.  They tasted my patties and now I was left with 1.  So not right, but was VERY excited that they liked them.  So I thought hey salmon patties but I guess I already ate the salmon, darn!  So I went look because I definitely have cans of tuna, can't I substitute?  I can!  After reading several and discarding I came across a recipe for Tuna Cakes from Life Currents (http://lifecurrents.dw2.net/tuna-cakes/#) but I wasn't interested in the tuna cakes recipe, I was interested in the Come Back Sauce.  I have seen it mentioned but never had it explained so that I understood what it was.  So I copied the recipe to make it, even though I'm SURE I will be eating it alone.  Then kept searching for a tuna cake recipe that interested me.  I just cant see putting mayo in the recipe for tuna cakes, might as well eat tuna salad.  So I came across the recipe from Skinny Mom for Skinny Tuna Cakes and these sounded doable.  (http://skinnymom.com/2012/03/12/skinny-tuna-cakes/)  Then I went looking for a side.  I know I wanted one with veggies in it and I wanted it light.  Nothing like mac and cheese. Not potatoes.  Rice maybe?  I found what I was looking for.  After reading the reviews I had to try it, Skinny Taste's Broccoli and Orzo (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-orzo.html).  Of course I had to make minor changes to it all, just to make it my own.  It was definitely delicious and hubby had seconds.  
Come Back Sauce
1/4 Cup Mayo (I used Hellmann's made with olive oil)
1/4 Cup Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Chili Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Onion
1 Teaspoon Worchestire Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
Mix together and let set over night in fridge so the ingredients can have a party together.  
It is definitely a come back to it sauce.  The original recipe calls for oil, which I omitted because the mayo was made of it and hot sauce as we don't eat spicy food.  

My recipe for the Tuna Cakes:
3 5 oz cans Tuna, drained I used tuna in water but your choice.
3/4 Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (which is basically celery salt, red pepper, black pepper, and paprika)
1/2 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 whole egg + 1 egg white
1/4 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1/4 Teaspoon Lemon Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Lemon Peel
1/4 Teaspoon Dill
Mix ingredients in small bowl.  Measure out about 3 tablespoons of the tuna mixture (I used a scooper) and roll into a ball.
Let set for 5 minutes in fridge.
Place in lightly sprayed non-stick skillet.  Flatten slightly with spatula and cook until golden brown, about 5 - 7 minutes, and flip.  Repeat.

Veggie Orzo Side
6 oz, a little less than 1 Cup of Orzo Pasta  I used Barilla Omega 3 pasta
1 1/2 Cups Frozen Broccoli as I didn't have fresh
1/2 Cup or 3 Small or 1 Large Carrot
4 Cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped  I used minced garlic from a jar that is stored in olive oil (2 teaspoons is equivalent to 4 cloves)
3 Tablespoons EVOO  I used 2 as my garlic contained olive oil.
Salt and Pepper to taste  I substituted using McCormick's Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper in place of the salt as it contains extra spice along with salt.

Steam veggies until firm but tender.
Cook pasta following package directions, don't forget to salt you water.
Drain pasta reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water.
In the pan you used to cook the pasta, add EVOO and once the oil heats up and starts to shimmer add and sautee garlic until fragrant.
Add veggies and seasoning sauteing for a few minutes.
Add pasta keeping it wet using the reserved pasta water, for about 3 - 5 minutes.

It was quick, easy, and mighty tasty.  And I love that it had many vegetables as well.  Hubby never said anything about all the vegetable this time.  Next time I think a squeeze of lemon after it's done ... I bet I could get my BFF, who dislikes all seafood, to try this.  OK maybe if I cook it for her.  *snickers*  So try it for a quick dinner and take the leftovers for a healthy lunch.  I'm lucky enough to get to eat the left overs over another salad and it's something I'm REALLY looking forward too.  Oh and hubby's sauce issue, not so much with this one.  Complained that I put it on the side instead of on the cakes.  ;0)  So please make these, either all together or individually and let me know how it tastes.  Add what you like or change what you don't.  But remember no matter what you change, or how you change it the best ingredient to any recipe is you .... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment