Pin It

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I promised you something sweet ... Boy do I deliver and with few ingredients!

Hi everyone!  I know I promised you something sweet.  I know lately my posts of recipes have been more savory than sweet.  And I knew I was going to have to post something for you all soon, THEN hubby complains there's nothing sweet in the house.  I counter with yes there is, there are cookies.  He said NO YOU'RE SWEETS!  Really?  So I went pinning today and found on a blog I follow, Six Sisters' Stuff (http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/), a recipe for Lemon Cool Whip Crinkle Cookies (http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/08/lemon-cool-whip-crinkle-cookies.html).  Now that I've made these cookies and I can tell you they are light, fluffy, chewy, addicting, and messy.  LOL 

And YES!  You read that right, COOL WHIP cookies.  I was skeptical at first then continued to read their blog and the following comments posted.  So I figured what the heck.  I had everything but the cool whip and would just pick that up at the store.  But I must note, have I ever told you how much I despise using box cake mix.  It will do in a pinch BUT I figured since I have no children at home and am baking something for the people I love then it should be made from scratch.  Yes I could have looked for a recipe for what "cake mix" I decided on but I happen to have some on hand.  

We went S E A R C H I N G for this cake mix everywhere when we were making hubby's birthday cake last year.  For those of you that don't know or don't remember, he wanted a dreamcicle cake (http://wearemorethanjustsweets.blogspot.com/2012/06/ever-since-i-can-remember-i-have-made.htmland the only recipe that I could find said if you could find it to use orange supreme cake mix.  We could not find it anywhere!  So as luck would have it, we were taking care of my nephews for a couple days out in Plainfield, Illinois and low and behold, at their local Mejier, what do I spot in the baking aisle?  Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix!  AND it's on sale!!!  So since I have it and hubby LOVES orange more than lemon, I figured that's what I'd make.  Of course it is such a simple recipe what could I possibly change to make it my own?


So since mine are made with orange cake mix, I'm calling mine:  Orange Cool Whip Cookies
Ingredients
1 8oz tub Cool Whip, thawed  I used sugar free to lower the sugar content a little since they are covered in powdered sugar.
2 Large Eggs, room temperature
1 18.25oz Box of Duncan Hines Orange Supreme cake mix (You can substitute your favorite cake mix here, FYI I might just buy another one to try a different flavor! LOL)
1 Teaspoon Orange Zest for the lemon I would do lemon zest.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease baking sheets.  I did not grease mine I used my silicon mat.
Beat together the whipped topping and eggs.
Add the zest because once you get the cake mix in it gets thick and sticky.
Add the cake mix and continue to mix. Dough will be thick and sticky.  
IMPORTANT!  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.  If you don't have to let the cookie sheets cool in between, put the dough back in the refrigerator.
This is where things get a little messy:  Drop by teaspoonfuls into a bowl of confectioners' sugar and roll to coat or use a spoon to roll them around.
Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets. 
Bake  for 9-11 minutes.  
Cool on racks.


You will be tempted to try and eat them warm.  They are so good!  Nice and light.  Chewy.  I didn't miss the extra sweetness from the Cool Whip at all.  Definitely one to try different cake flavors on, so now I will simply say these cookies are my exception to the rule of using box cake mix.  ;0)

So try it for yourself.  Use your favorite cake mix, whatever that may be.  I might try a spice or carrot cake mix next.  Hmmm .... YUM!  In the meantime remember that no matter what cake mix you use, or how you change it up the best ingredient to any recipe is you ... Enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment