Pin It

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Taco Pizza and Brownies in a Mug ...What a weekend!

This past weekend turned out to be pretty funny for me.  Hubby asks for pizza quite often, if he can't get me to make it  he usually asks for Domino's or Pizza Pizza.  Yes I know that's Little Cesar's but it is what he asks for.  Honestly I didn't feel like cooking but I'm not as infatuated with pizza as hubby is. What to do?  I didn't have the normal ingredients to make a pizza at home so I started looking to see what I had.  Then I found this recipe from Table for {7} (http://www.ourtableforseven.com/) for Taco Pizza.  Oh boy!!!!  I think I have that ... so off to search.
Ground beef .... Check
Refrigerated pizza dough ... Check
Cheddar cheese ... nope but I have Mexican blend, that works.
Taco seasoning .... oops!  Normally I have extra laying around but I must have used it and didn't replace it.  Bad Melody ... (smacks hands) LOL
So I have a recipe for taco spice mix but it's definitely way more than I need, and not enough spices to make the extra.  So I tried the one that I ALSO found at Table for {7} and it was wonderful.  Off to make taco seasoning mix, with my changes of course.

Taco Seasoning Mix
2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Onion (Powered will work as well)
1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic (Again powder is fine here)
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper 
1/4 Teaspoon Chili Powder
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (I don't eat spicy stuff, so a pinch was enough for me and didn't make me feel like I was missing anything.)
Directions
Mix in small bowl but store left overs in air tight container.

OK ... seasoning mix made now to brown the ground beef.  When making anything I always layer my flavors and with the same thing.  So I used some granulated garlic, granulated onion, a couple dashes of coriander and a couple dashes of dried cilantro.
After meat had been cooked and drained, I added 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning and let it set to meat grab the flavor.

Cook dough according to package instructions.  I seasoned the dough with a little of the dried cilantro before baking.  Once dough has been precooked, using 1/2 to 1 cup of refried beans (I used black refried beans). I sprinkled about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of the taco seasoning on top of the spread beans.
Next spread the cooked seasoned meat on the beans, followed by the cheese.  I added some Mexican oregano and a little more dried cilantro to the top of the pizza and threw it back in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes until cheese was melted and crust is browned.  Take out and sprinkle with additional toppings.  I waited a few minutes to let it cool and added some lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.  Think taco toppings though.  Here is the humor of it.  Hubby brought home a pepperoni pizza from Pizza Pizza (still makes me laugh).  I cut MY pizza in 12 pieces so there was an even amount to each pizza.  Why was there less of mine left than of the pepperoni pizza.  Oh isn't home cooking grand!!!!
This was the result.


He's also always looking for sweets on the weekend.  I have been of a mind that I don't want extra sweets laying around the house.  Either I get frustrated that they go to waste because they don't get eaten OR feel bad that I don't want it to go to waste so it gets eaten, which isn't necessarily good either. *sighs*  So when he asked what did I bake for desert I had the PERFECT option. Single serving brownies.  
OK ... It's a little messy but OH so good.  Adapted, of course,  from The Family Kitchen (http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/09/13/two-minute-mug-brownie/).
It's not the picture ... one is darker than the other on purpose. 
Brownie in a Mug
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder  ( I used dark chocolate for mine, which I like better.)
Pinch of Salt
2 Tablespoons Canola
2 Tablespoons Coffee (can use milk, coffee, or water)
1/2 Teaspoon of extract ( I used almond in mine and vanilla in his)
Mix ingredients in mugs or ramekins. Will be like a paste texture.
Microwave for 30 seconds and check.  Usually takes a minute but all microwaves are different.  Should be springy to the touch but still gooey.  
Let it cool a little before eating as it will be HOT.  
I threw a dollop of left over chocolate whipped cream on top.  Oh so good.  I think next time I'll throw in some cinnamon too.  But definitely try it and no left overs to tempt you.  No matter which recipe you choose, no matter what ingredient you change just remember that the best ingredient to any recipe is you .... Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment