Pin It

Friday, July 13, 2012

Brave the heat for this one!

As I sat watching the weather for my area I became totally depressed when I saw that the temperatures for the next 7 days will be in the mid to upper 90's with high humidities.  That means no baking like we planned for Sunday breakfast. *Sighs*  So since it got cooler here recently and definitely cooler at night I figured a treat was in order before the heat descended upon us again.  Deciding to bake something is always a challenge because there is always so much to choose from, but you'r limited to what's in the pantry and fridge.  But this time I knew what I wanted to make, now I just had to find what I needed.  
I am in LOVE with dark chocolate.  Milk chocolate is OK and hubby LOVES white chocolate but dark is my definite weakness.  So I knew dark chocolate cupcake is what I was going to make, but what frosting.  I'm the type of person that chocolate on chocolate is fine but I like different.  I know that coffee enhances the flavor or chocolate.  Makes it richer so I wanted to search for a coffee frosting.  What I found was even better.  What I did to it made it marvelous.  But you must love coffee to do this one.  Oh you could make it with less coffee flavor but it wouldn't be marvelous then would it? *winks* 


Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Hot Brewed Coffee
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powdered (I used Hersey's dark chocolate powder.)
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/ Teaspoon Almond Extract
1 Large Egg, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place liners in muffin tin.  (Note:  This recipe makes 6 jumbo or 12 regular size.)
Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Mix hot coffee and cocoa in a small bowl until cocoa is dissolved.
Beat butter until smooth.  Gradually add sugar.  Once sugar is incorporated, beat for an additional  minutes.
Beat in almond extract and eggs.  Beat until incorporated.
Turn mixer on low, alternate adding flour mixture and cocoa mixture.
Fill muffin tins 2/3 the way full and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool completely before frosting.




Now for a yummy yummy frosting!!!!!


Coffee chocolate almond frosting recipe
I say almond because you do taste the almond even though you don't use much!
1 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Unsweetend Cocoa Powdered (I used Hersey's dark chocolate powder.)
1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
3 Tablespoon Strong Brewed Coffee
1/2 Teaspoon Almond Extract
1 1/2 Teaspoon Instant Coffee


Sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder together in medium bowl and set aside.
Cream butter until creamy.
Gradually add alternating sugar and brewed coffee, beat until smooth.
Beat instant coffee into frosting and refrigerate until ready to frost


Like I said, you must love coffee but if you don't want a strong coffee flavor you can add the instant coffee 1/2 a teaspoon at time tasting after each addition to your liking.


This is one that is definitely one to brave the heat for.  Hubby can't wait for me to make them again.  No higher praise I tell you!
Remember the best ingredient is you.... Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment