Pin It

Monday, July 9, 2012

The ribs, the sauce, the simple, and the side.

For dinner we had to do something other 
than simple.  Can only use the heat as a reason not to cook for so long. *winks*  So I took out some pork ribs.  But I knew I definitely wanted to do something different.  Add a different flair of flavor to them.  Do something that I don't normally do to them.  Season them some kind of way that I don't normally season them.  Question was would I do it with the seasoning I put on them?  By the sides that I would make?  By how they got cooked?  So I started searching the spice cabinet, and nothing was striking me as "different".  Everything seemed like the same old flavor.  So we decided on grilling them, give hubby something to do too.  But I still had to figure out how  to season them.  I'm all about having something fresh in the meal.  Looking in the fridge .... something struck me.  Sweet, fresh, definitely goes with pork.  Result was a delicious balsamic peach barbecue sauce.   It was tart, sweet, and fresh.  And definitely added the right "different flair" that I was looking for.   


Balsamic Peach Barbecue Recipe
1 Teaspoon Canola Oil 
1 Small onion, chopped
OPTIONAL - 2 Jalapenos, chopped~ The reason I say optional is because some like it spicy so you can either seed or not seed and they are not required in the sauce.  My hubby and I don't "do" spicy so I omit this ingredient but it definitely DOESN'T take anything away from the sauce.
2 Large or 3 Medium Ripe pieces, chopped 
1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup Honey
2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard (I like to use wholegrain.)
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar (I like to use dark brown sugar where ever I can.)
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper ( I like to use fresh ground.)


Heat oil and onions (peppers as well if you're using them) until tender, approximately 4-5 minutes.
Stir in peaches, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and pepper.  Bring to a boil.
Let boil about a minute as this will allow the peaches to start to break down.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened. (Approximately 15 - 20 minutes)
Use right away or set aside and let come to room temperature before storing.  When I make a homemade barbecue sauce I generally like them a little thicker.  In this recipe I took about 3/4 of a cup of the sauce and pureed it together and put it back in the pot and let it cook for a few more minutes to reincorporate the ingredients.


Add to the meal what I like to call Italian mac and cheese.  Very simple and something I always have in my home.  Cooked up some orzo pasta, added a couple tablespoons of butter, some shredded cheese of asiago, fontina, parmesan, and provolone (I buy this blend from my local supermarket), couple splashes of milk and poof Italian mac and cheese.  
Add a simple salad and there is nothing better. Definitely drool worthy.  
I like to freeze my left over sauces to keep for another time if I'm not going to use it right away.  They freeze well and make wonderful gifts too.  (hint hint)  That's the thing about cooking and baking.  There is always something to do with it.  Food is a common bond for people.  Something that you can share with others.  So share away ... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment