Pin It

Friday, July 6, 2012

A favorite sandwich turned treat!

How many of us grew up LOVING peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?  And then passed that love down to your children?  How many still love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches today?  


One day I was sitting trying to think up something to take to my best friend's house for my "nephews".  I know they love anything chocolate but I wanted something different, heck they can get those at their local store bakery.  Then I was talking to the bestie when she said the kids were eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and said how much they LOVE them just as much as we did when we were kids.  I said "Woah!  I still do!" 


So how to make one .... everyone's opinion or even the recipes I found online were for a yellow cake batter.  I don't know about you all but when I think of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I think of white bread with peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other.  So yellow cake just would not do!  So I made a white cake batter, filled with jelly/preserves, and topped with peanut butter frosting.  Talk about happy memories!  









Remember I did say that not all the pictures would be pretty. *snickers*  And yes I do know what it looks like.  It just happened to be my first experiment with using my pipping kit.  I LOVE that you can use your favorite jelly or preserves to fill the cupcake.  Hubby's favorite is grape jelly (as seen above) and mine is strawberry preserves.  So whatever your flavor, us it to fill it.  I have also used almond butter, but I'm sure you can use any nut butter, to make the frosting.  To create the well, they do have cupcake well makers that they sell but why waste your money, use a apple corer to create the well.  But don't throw away the core, use the cake to cap/cover the filling before frosting.  


To make the White Cupcake Recipe
1 Cup All purpose flour
1 1/4 Cup Cake flour
1 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Whole milk, room temperature
6 Large (3/4 Cup) egg whites, at room temperature
2 Teaspoons Almond Extract
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoon Sugar
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
12 Tablespoon Unsalted butter, softened but still cool


Preheat oven to 350.
Pour milk, egg whites, extracts, into small bowl and beat together.
Sift flours (all purpose and cake), sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
Add butter to dry ingredients, start mixing on low.  Mix until ingredients look like moist crumbs with no powdery streaks remaining.
Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to flour/butter mixture.  Beat on medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes.
Add remaining milk mixture beat 30 seconds more.
Scrape bowl, beat again for 20 seconds more.
Fill cupcake tin (I like to paper line mine) 2/3 the way full.  Bake 15 - 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes then remove to let cool completely.


For the Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe
1/2 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
1 Cup Peanut butter (Note: can substitute with another nut butter as you desire)
2 - 4 Cups Sifted powdered sugar (I used 2 to cut down on the sugar AND because there will be additional sweetness from whatever you put it on.)
1/3 Cup Heavy cream or whole milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla (I, however, like to use almond extract when making a nut butter frosting.)


Cream butter and peanut butter until smooth and fluffy.
Add 1 cup of shifted powdered sugar at a time, beating on low and increase speed.
Alternate milk/cream with powdered sugar until texture of frosting is what you want.  
Once you have the right texture and sweetness add extract, and beat on high for 1 minute.
Refrigerate until ready to use. 
Remember to let frosting come to room temperature before spreading or pipping. 


Try it!  Make it with the kids and let them fill them with their favorite jelly.  I hope it brings back wonderful memories for you as well!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment