Pin It

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It's rich but it's now a favorite!

So sorry everyone!  Had a storm that knocked out the power for 2 days in 90+ degree heat.  It was not fun.  But I'm back!  How many of you LOVE Snickers????  Well I have a recipe for you that you will absolutely love!!!!  May in my family brings quite a few birthdays, whether near or far.  What's fun about this month of birthdays is it is not only hubby's birthday month but it is ALSO my baby brother and Mom's birthday.  Yes she had to have him on her birthday.  It makes it VERY hard for birthdays as well.  I was born in February, my old her brother born in March, my Mom and baby brother in May, and my twin sisters in October.  OY!  *chuckles*  So Mom and Brian compromised this year and decided on a Snickers cake.  OK ... Snickers cake.  How do you do that?  So there's what I came up with.  It is a really rich cake so you might want to share.


When thinking Snickers you know it's chocolate, caramel, nougat, and peanuts.  How to put that together in a cake?


So when I think cake wise I automatically know I'm doing chocolate but then I thought NO that should be the frosting but chocolate cake would make it too much.  So I thought when you much a Snickers what do you taste but peanuts.  So the result is a peanut butter cake with caramel swirled in the cake, then drizzled and with more caramel, nougat filling, and frosted with chocolate frosting.







Don't forget to garnish with pieces of Snickers bar.












I actually punctured the cake with a skewer and let the caramel sauce drip inside the wells to create more caramel in the cake.






Chocolate Frosting Recipe
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I used 1/4 dark and 1/2 milk chocolate)
8 Tablespoons Unsalted butter, softened
3 - 4 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
! teaspoon Vanilla extract


Sift powdered sugar and cocoa powdered together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Combine 1 cup of the sugar mixture with bitter and 1 tablespoon heavy cream beating until smooth.
Add another cup of sugar mixture and 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
Continue until all ingredients are combined and frosting is smooth and fluffy.
Beat in vanilla and refrigerate until ready to use.


Peanut Butter Cake
1/2 Cup Creamy peanut butter
1/2 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
4 Large Eggs
1 18.25 oz package Butter Cake Mix
2/3 Cup Water


Preheat oven to 325.
Grease (I use butter) and flour 2 9" round cake pans.
Combine 1/2 cup peanut butter and and 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating until well mixed.
Add cake mix alternating with water.  Start with cake mix and end with cake mix.
Pour in equal amounts in cake pans and bake approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Salted Caramel Sauce
1 Cup White sugar
1/4 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
3 1/2 Tablespoons Unsalted butter
1 Teaspoon Salt (I like to use Kosher but Sea Salt is another option.)

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. 
Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If necessary, use a wet pastry brush to wash down any crystals on the side of the pan. Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove the sugar from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble. 
Stir in the unsalted butter, and salt. 
Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool.


Nougat Filling
1/2 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
1/2 C Shortening
16oz Marshmallow Cream (I used Fluff)
1 Cup Malted Milk Mix (I used Carnation brand.)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
3 - 4 Cups Powdered Sugar (This is to taste and texture.  For my cake I used 3 because 4 was too thick for my cake.)
5 - 6 Tablespoons Heavy cream
3/4 Cup Unsalted, blanched peanuts


Cream butter and shortening together until smooth.
Add Marshmallow cream and beat until well combined.
Add vanilla and heavy cream, beat until well incorporated.
Mix in malted milk, then slowly add powdered sugar until filling is desired sweetness and consistency.
Add peanuts, and fold in to mix together.  Do not beat as it will break up the peanuts.
Refrigerate until ready to use.


Note: any ingredient that has been refrigerated should be let come to room temperature for easy spreading or the cake will rip. 

This is definitely a keeper of recipes because I so have another idea for a cake ... keep a look out for it!!!!  Enjoy and don't forget to share.   Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment