Pin It

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Simple ... and the request

Another not as hot day so we slept in.  Woo hoo! But now what to make for breakfast.  Hubby and I have this "rule", I cook 2 weekends and he cooks 2 weekends.  Works for us since breakfast is the best meal he can make.  *laughs*  


So since we overslept I made what I called an open faced scrambled egg sandwich. You can probably guess what it is.


Yep simple and delish.  I cheated a little.  I used the precooked bacon and crumbled it up really fine.  Sauteed some mushrooms and a shallot.  Added the eggs and some feta cheese.  Made toast from wheat bread, buttered it and put the eggs on top and served.  It was definitely quick and just light enough.  Of course next weekend is hubby's turn.  So I made a request.  There is one thing that he makes well.  So I like to request it from him every couple months.  So next weeks breakfast will be chorizo and eggs.  Of course turn about is fair play.  So he made his own request.  My corned bread coffee cake.  So here's hoping that it's as cool next weekend as it was this weekend. 


So I had to dig out the recipe for the cake.  
Recipe for Corned Bread Coffee Cake
1 Cup Sifted All Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar (I used dark brown sugar as I like the smoky flavor it gives off.)
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Egg, beaten
1 Cup Milk
3 Tablespoons Cooking oil (I used canola oil, can use vegetable or olive)
1/2 Cup Preserves (Your favorite flavor.)
1 Tablespoon Sugar


Preheat oven to 425.
Sift together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Whisk in cornmeal.
Beat egg, add milk and oil and beat together.
Add wet mixture to dry ingredients.
Beat just until smooth.
Spread batter in greased 9" cake pan.
Spoon preserves over batter and cut into the cake.  Sprinkle 1 tablespoon on top of cake.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


We LOVE this cake because it's not a VERY sweet cake.  Add a chocolate cinnamon coffee, OH BOY!  So looking forward to next Sunday.  Can someone fast forward please?! 





No comments:

Post a Comment