Pin It

Thursday, July 19, 2012

What's for lunch and well dessert?!





Dishes loaded in the dishwasher, everything put away and wiped down, coffee set for tomorrow morning ... now it's time to tell you about my day, or better yet what I made.  Have I mentioned I LOVE Italian food.  Being part Italian, growing up around my Godfather and his family (who are Italian) it is a large part of how I cook.  I try to make it not so Italian but there are days it just can't be helped.  Today was that day. I just wanted something yummy.  But what to put with bacon.  Yes I said bacon.  Everything is better with bacon.  I made Chicken ricotta ravioli but not any sauce would do.  I had 1/4 of a pound of thick cut bacon.  Cut it in lardons, which is just to say match stick sized pieces *giggles*, and crisped it up.  Once crisped, I added some bite sized pieces of zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms.  Then added some sliced shallots.  Threw in some spinach, once it was wilted down and the ravioli were cooked and drained, tossed the mixture in with the ravioli, hit it with a bit of fresh crated parmesan and VIOLA lunch.  It was so yummy.  Something I would definitely do again.  Then hubby left for work.  I have been dying to bake something, but the heat and humidity have been so bad lately.  Finally a little rain, OK a lot of rain, and a little bit of cool down and my mind is DEMANDING I bake something.   But what to bake.  I want something a little different paired with something I know I'll like.  There is nothing I like more than a good cup of cinnamon coffee in the morning.  Hmmm ... can I make a cupcake with those flavors.  I sure can!!!

The result is a cinnamon coffee cupcake recipe with the coffee chocolate almond frosting from Brave the heat for this one!  
With a few minor tweaks of course. 


Cinnamon Coffee Cupcake
1 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Strong Brewed Coffee
2 Teaspoons Instant Coffee

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tin.  Batter makes 18 regular cupcakes.
Shift flour, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl and set aside.
In large bowl beat sugar and butter until light and smooth.
Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
Beat in vanilla extract.
Alternate adding flour mixture and brewed coffee, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
Beat in instant coffee.
Fill cupcakes 2/3 full and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool completely before frosting.


For the frosting the only change I made was 1/2 less teaspoon of the instant coffee and vanilla extract instead of almond.  When you take a bite of it it's like eating a Cinnamon mocha coffee.  Definitely going to try this by making just a cinnamon cupcake with maybe an apple or peach frosting.  Oh boy!  Can't wait for fall!!!!  Remember the best ingredient is you .... Enjoy!!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment